Eva Janke (Loewen)

Eva Janke (Loewen)

Passed on October 4, 2020

Eva Janke peacefully, at the Selkirk Hospital on October 4, 2020 after a long battle with dementia passed away.

She is survived by her son Calvin (Andrea) grandchildren; Cole, Tristen, Payton, Riley; sister Sarah (George) Wiebe and brother Pete (Angie) Loewen.

Predeceased by her husband Alphonse and son Lawrence.

Eva was born in Hague, SK. and moved to Clarkleigh, MB. with her family in the early 1950’s. She was the baby of her family having 3 sisters and 13 brothers. She married Alphonse Nov. 27, 1955 in the midst of a blizzard and moved to Marquette where they farmed together for over 45 years. She loved her 4 grandchildren and was proud of their accomplishments. She talked about them all the time and to ever who would listen. She enjoyed family playing Bingo, driving, and being outside on the farm. She had the roughest of edges but the softest of hearts. She was very competitive, hardworking and extremely compassionate, a simple woman that was more complex than you would ever know. She was my mom the best mom in the world.

Private service Oct.10, 2020 at the Meadow Lea Cemetery.

Family would like to thank the several members of the community that supported and helped mom in her last years of living at home. Special thanks to all the Health Care Professionals who gave her the best care possible in the last years of her life. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in her honor to Meadow Lea United Church or Shoenfelder Mennonite Church.


The relationship between a boy and his Grandma is one like no other. Me and grandma shared a very sentimental one. My grandma taught me many simple things in life, but the one that I’ll always remember is never to stop in the middle of the highway to empty your ash tray while cops are around. Grandma had a very gruff way about herself. Whether it was getting into arguments at the café or cursing because the bingo caller wasn’t calling out the numbers loud enough, she always knew how to be a loving grandma. It didn’t matter the situation I always knew that gram would be there to have a conversation with, usually while she was sitting on her rocker enjoying a smoke. For the 17 years I knew grandma I always have and always will cherish the visits at her house. A visit usually consisted of eating her famous bologna sandwiches, eating popcorn, and watching family feud. Towards the end of my Grandmas life it seemed the engine was running but there was no one behind the wheel. It was often comical being asked the same question more than once over a visit, but it’s something I will look back on and miss. One of the last times I spoke Grandson to Grandmother was a special one. I knew it may be the last time she’d recognize me, so I stayed for as long as the nurses let me. I ditched class one day to go see her, we played cards and she continued asking me to take her home because she “was feeling better.” After numerous rounds of go fish I decided to leave. Before I left, we hugged and she asked me once more if she could go for a ride, and then go home! Of course, I couldn’t take her as much as I wanted to. But on October 4th at 10:25 pm she heard grandpa calling her home. Being as tough as nails as she was it took more than one call. Finally, at 10:30 pm grandpa reached out his hand and grandma took it. They walked hand in hand, as grandpa finally brought grandma home.



Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Are you or someone you know planning a funeral?

Contact Ken today to book an appointment.

Contact Ken